Master of Science
Master of Science, Nursing Core
Clinical Practice Experience (CPE) Record
Student Name: __________________________________________ Date: _________________________ (By submitting this CPE Record to Evaluation, you attest that you completed each required activity.)
Course Instructor Name: _________________________________________________________________
Course: Essentials of Advanced Nursing Roles and Interprofessional Practice
Welcome to the Clinical Practice Experience (CPE) for this course. The CPE for the Master of Science in Nursing program core courses consists of a variety of semi-structured activities. CPE provides the opportunity to integrate new knowledge into practice and to attain the identified professional competencies (AACN, 2016). By completing all the activities and evidence listed within this document, and earning a grade of “Competent,” you will earn 25 indirect CPE hours for this course.*
In this CPE, you will take on the role of an advanced professional nurse responsible for molding policy issues facing the nursing profession and healthcare. You will build on the knowledge gained thus far in your MSN core course work and learn more about how to lead and educate interprofessional teams to build and advance policy advocacy by developing an advocacy plan for a social determinant of your choosing.
In this CPE, you will experience the role of an advanced professional nurse in two phases:
· Phase 1: You will research and plan for advocacy.
· Phase 2: You will develop the structure for your advocacy team.
· Complete and date the required activities
· Type in your name and date the top of this form
· Type in the name of your faculty of record for this course (your assigned Course Instructor)
· Submit the completed CPE Record for evaluation
PHASE 1: ADVOCACY ACTION PLAN
Date Activity Completed
Review all of the activity and evidence requirements for this CPE, including Phase 1 and Phase 2. Break down each activity from each phase into strategic tasks and specific due dates in order to meet the activity deadlines. Create a CPE schedule table in your e-portfolio that lists your tasks, due dates, and estimated time needed to complete each activity.
Review health data sites such as https://www.countyhealthrankings.org/explore-health-rankings and https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest-communities. Enter
your zip code to investigate some health issues in your county and state.
Using data and resources from the two websites above and other sources you can find in a Google search or the WGU library, identify: a health issue in your community, a specific portion of the population in your community most effected by the health issue, the social factor or condition (social determinant of health (SDOH)) that leads to, worsens, or complicates the health issue for this specific population, and your recommended policy change to address the SDOH.
Complete the table below and email just the table to your assigned course instructor for feedback. Revise table based on CI feedback and complete below prior to submitting CPE Record:
Health Issue in My Community
Target Population Affected (3 characteristics)
(identify just 1 social factor/condition that predisposes target population to health issue)
Recommended Policy Change
Date table was emailed to Course Instructor for feedback.
Review the Guide to Identifying a Social Determinant of Health (SDOH) and Preparing to Write a Policy Brief located in Course Tips. Part of building a successful policy brief involves generating interest in the issue by creating an advocacy action plan.
Review the “ Answering the Call ” series presented by the Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing organization. Watch the recorded video title “Creating an Advocacy Action Plan” found in Course Tips. Based on what you have learned, create a brief summary (less than 100 words) of the process you will use to create your advocacy action plan.
Search the internet and WGU Library for information on building policy advocacy in nursing. Learn more about nursing’s role in policy by visiting the National League for Nursing (NLN), Advocacy & Public Policy site and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), Policy & Advocacy site. Note the toolkits and resources available. Using what you have learned from your research, create a SMART goal for moving your policy brief forward.
Before a policy can be formulated, it must first command attention or it will not be included on the policymakers agenda. After you have identified an issue and created a policy brief, you will need to draw attention to your policy brief so it can be included as an agenda item. This is the first stage in the public policy cycle, which is called agenda-setting . To start the agenda-setting phase, create a list with contact information of your local, state, and federal policymakers (e.g. Legislator, County Commissioner, School Board President, Mayor, Director of Public Health, etc.). For Federal legislators, start with https://www.congress.gov to find your state’s representatives.
Using the contact information you assembled, contact one of the policymakers from your contact list to inquire about the process for agenda-setting. If the policymaker does not respond to your request for information in a timely fashion, search the internet to learn about the process for agenda-setting. (Note: You are not sharing your policy change recommendation. You are simply inquiring about the process for agenda setting.)
Based on the agenda setting process you identified, create an action plan that includes five strategies you will use to begin the process of informing the media and stakeholders of the importance of your identified policy issue.
Create a 3–5 minute GoReact video reflection discussing your Phase 1 CPE. If you have trouble with the GoReact link, you can copy and paste the URL directly into your browser: https://lrps.wgu.edu/provision/173986697 What insights did you gain from the experience of researching and planning for policy advocacy? Are there things you would do differently next time you are involved in policy advocacy? Provide encouraging and constructive comments to the video reflections of two peers in GoReact.
Phase 1 Evidence (Upload the following to your e-portfolio:)
1. CPE schedule table of the tasks and timelines that you developed for this CPE
2. Advocacy action plan summary (100 words or less) of the process you will use to create your advocacy plan
3. SMART goal for moving your policy brief forward
4. List of local, state, or federal policymakers’ contact information
5. Screenshot or copy of the inquiry email or letter you sent to learn more about the process you must follow for agenda setting
6. Action plan for informing media and stakeholders that includes five strategies for informing the media and stakeholders of the importance of your identified policy issue
7. Three screenshots to document your GoReact video reflection that includes an image of your reflection video and an image for each of your peer responses
8. A brief, written reflection summary of your video reflection below your screenshot
PHASE 2: STRUCTURING THE ADVOCACY TEAM
Date Activity Completed
Review the CPE Schedule table created in Phase 1 to ensure you are still making progress towards meeting your timelines. Adjust the schedule table if necessary.
Nursing policy advocacy is more effective when there is support from members of an interprofessional healthcare team. To learn more about forming interprofessional teams, review this American Nurses Association article and develop the skills to be an effective communicator across care teams by completing some of the modules in Team STEPPS from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). List seven or more techniques you learned about team-building that will be useful when forming and leading your interprofessional policy advocacy team, and explain why the seven techniques are important for forming and leading interprofessional policy advocacy teams.
Identify key interprofessional stakeholders, by role or title, that will form your interprofessional policy advocacy team. Create a list of five interprofessional stakeholders, and describe how these individuals will contribute to meeting the SMART goal you established.
As an advanced professional nurse, you are responsible for educating the advocates on the policy issue and the process for agenda-setting. Create an agenda for your first team meeting that includes a list of items you will discuss. This agenda should inform and educate the team regarding the policy brief you created and the process that should be used for agenda-setting. Once you have created your agenda, share this with policy advocates to get their feedback and suggestions. Include their feedback in your GoReact video reflection.
Create a 3–5 minute GoReact video reflection of your experiences describing what you learned during the process of building a structure for your policy advocacy team and creating an educational agenda to build advocacy for your policy issue. If you have trouble with the GoReact link, you can copy and paste the URL directly into your browser: https://lrps.wgu.edu/provision/173986697
Include your perceptions regarding the feedback you received from the policy advocate’s review of your agenda. Provide positive comments on two peers’ videos.
Phase 2 Evidence (Upload the following to your e-portfolio:)
1. List of seven interprofessional team-building techniques you learned about interprofessional team-building with a description of why each of these will be important when forming and leading your interprofessional policy advocacy team
2. List of five interprofessional stakeholders and a description of how each stakeholder will contribute to meeting your SMART goal
3. Team meeting agenda for your first team meeting that includes a list of items you will discuss
4. Three screenshots to document your GoReact video reflection, that includes an image of your reflection video and an image for each of your peer responses
5. A brief, written reflection summary of your video reflection below your screenshot
*American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2016). Clinical practice experiences FAQs. Retrieved from https://www.aacnnursing.org/CCNE-Accreditation/Resources/FAQs/Clinical-Practice.
Your assignment woes end here!
Who We Are
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched for a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Do you handle any type of coursework?
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
Is it hard to Place an Order?
1. Click on the “Order Now” on the main Menu and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the “PAPER INFORMATION” section and the system will calculate your order price/cost.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
100% Reliable Site. Make this your Home of Academic Papers.
Always Order High-Quality Academic Papers from HERE
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.
We will process your orders through multiple stages and checks to ensure that what we are delivering to you, in the end, is something that is precise as you envisioned it. All of our essay writing service products are 100% original, ensuring that there is no plagiarism in them. The sources are well-researched and cited so that it is interesting. Our goal is to help as many students as possible with their assignments, i.e. our prices are affordable and services premium.
Looking for a Similar Assignment? Order a custom-written, plagiarism-free paper
Your assignment woes end here!
Use the following coupon code :